I recently stumbled upon a very beautiful wavy cap mushroom (Psilocybe cyanescens). I knew that it was hallucinogenic and so its consumption is illegal. That’s why I want to teach you how to recognize (most) hallucinogenic mushrooms. This way you can keep away from them and avoid trouble.
Sometimes it’s hard to know if a mushroom is edible or not, but it is very easy to know if a mushroom contains hallucinogenic compounds (and thus making it a magic mushroom).
- Squeeze the stem with your finger. If it is a hallucinogenic mushroom, blue bruising should occur.
- Cut of the stem and make a spore print. The color of the print should be dark blue or dark purple.
If these two characteristics occur on the same mushroom you can be 98% sure that the mushroom is a magic mushroom.
As mycologist Paul Stamets stated: This test gives you 98% certainty that the mushroom is hallucinogenic. The remaining 2% isn’t poisonous, so no harm there.
Notice that I said “most hallucinogenic mushrooms”. There are still some mushroom species undiscovered and our mycological knowledge is still expanding. Always ask for advise from a professional mycologist before consuming any unknown mushroom. I also advise you to buy a good book on the matter, for example: Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora.
Please also mind that I do not encourage the consumption of hallucinogenic mushrooms or other drugs. This article is simply meant to identify hallucinogenic mushrooms.
Disclaimer: This webpage has only one purpose; to help you avoid hallucinogenic mushrooms. We do not condone usage, possession, trade or picking of these mushrooms. It is illegal and you should not do it! You are responsible for your own actions.